Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Somebody's Gonna Miss Us



St. Louis Missouri July 2003.


The other night I was hanging out with Jenn and she pulls out her high school yearbooks. I found a random picture of myself and my friends from 9th grade playing hackie sack, I didn't know it was there. I had completely forgot about that, or those people at least.

We go through each year and jr year still had my picture in it even though I left halfway through the year. I look at my picture and laugh and ignore the blue box around just assuming it. Then I hear "did you notice the blue box?" Turns out the blue box is for cute boys. Cute right?

We finally got to senior year and she just kept telling me these great stories. Stories from being on the robotics team, stories from grad night, things like that. After we finished I grabbed my phone and posted a tweet basically saying "for the first since in 4 years I actually feel like I missed out on my senior year." I was in awe that I actually said that, I had a blast my senior year. My senior year I mainly spent doing merch for a few of my friends bands. I got to go to shows out of town at least once or twice a week for the end of 2005 and at least three times a week for the first couple months of 2006. I was all over California. Not to mention when I wasn't out with my friends I was working an internship as an editor for a video podcast. I had a blast doing both of those things and now I have friends spread across the west coast because of it and I have the job that I have now.
I was talking to another friend from high school about it today and her reply has been ringing in my head all day. "You shouldn't feel like you missed out because you didn't have the stereotypical normal high school experience." She's right, I didn't. Nothing in my life has ever been normal and I accepted that a long time ago.

I never thought I would write these words but I wish I went to prom, I wish I acted like a jackass at football games, I wish I went to grad night, I wish I walked in the graduation ceremony with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment